Monday, September 18, 2006

Main Street from Plaza, August 13, 1955


This photo was taken from right about where the "Partners" statue is these days, affording us a great view of Main Street only one month after the park opened. I have noticed that in older photos, guests tended to stay on the sidewalks more, like in a real town...hardly anyone is walking in the street. I love the fact that people are enjoying the charms of Main Street, waiting in line for popcorn, resting on the benches under the trees, and generally taking it easy. Both Horse-drawn streetcars are operating, as well as the Surrey.

Check out the "greaser" with his back to us, with the rolled up sleeves and dungarees. Disgraceful! The kid with the sailor hat is another nice 50's touch...I hardly ever wear a sailor hat these days, except to job interviews.

I think I'll take that corner room at the Plaza Apartments, and invite everyone over for frosty chocolate milk shakes!

2 comments:

Daveland said...

Funny you should comment on people using the sidwalks; just got back from the park, and noticed that people do not pay attention at all to the vehicles. They just continue jampacking the street and only move at the last minute. I would mention the abundance of rude stroller users, but I have ranted on that subject enough. Nice slide!

Matterhorn1959 said...

I would love to see you at in interview wearing a sailor hat!

Once again a shot showing the reason I love non-professional images of the park.