Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday Jumble

We have four photos for you today, can you handle it?!! Sure you can, because you're awesome. And I'm not just saying that so that you'll loan me money.

The first offering is a bit of a mystery to me. It was in a lot that was mostly Disneyland images, but there were a few Walt Disney World pictures too. I could easily tell which was which, except for this photo. I have my doubts about it being Disneyland, it just feels wrong. Let's hear it, experts!


I assume that this was taken from the Monorail, circa 1961. There's the Fantasyland Autopia load area, remember when there were two separate Autopias? (Don't even get me started on the Midget Autopia or the Junior Autopia!). O'Malley the cop is sneaking up on those two ladies...go get 'em, they look suspicious to me too.


Even grandma enjoys a cheeseburger once in a while. Cheeseburgers are nature's candy. More questions from me: what eatery is this? I'm not sure if it is in Frontierland (since we can see the stockade in the distance) or if it is in Adventureland (since....well, I don't really have a good reason). This slide is from the 1950's, if that helps.


Now it's 1965, and the early New Orleans Square has appeared on the Rivers of America. You can see the building that would eventually hold Pirates of the Caribbean, with its distinctive cupola...it must be brand new, since pictures from 1964 usually show green construction walls and not much else. I assume that you could wander the streets and explore the shops at this point.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that grandma is eating at the Tahitian Terrace. I base it on this photo at Matterhorn's site which looks like the entrance to Frontierland is right next store.

Jason Schultz said...

I think the Tahitian Terrace was more enclosed than that photo shows. The Tahitian Terrace didn't open until 1962, so it's likely she was eating at the Adventureland side of the Plaza Pavilion.

If the first image is Disneyland (and I have no idea), it seems like an Indian Village picture taken from the Mark Twain or Columbia.

jedblau said...

I would like one of those coffee cups for my collection!

Anonymous said...

I agree Progressland. you’re description of the Plaza Pavilion is more accurate.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great shots today, that first one is puzzling? It does seem out of place somehow.

The one of the Mark Twain is beautiful!

Now, lets talk about he Cheeseburger lady, I’m less concerned with where as as to WHO she is. Maybe I just need more sleep, but she sure looks a lot like Geddy Lee from RUSH. Maybe it’s his mom!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_guNX-7ZDSxo/R5I59_90oNI/AAAAAAAAAyU/J9-1sOq01nE/s400/sep+at+birth.jpg

Check out the link, is it just me?

Anonymous said...

Yes sir. While it's the classic Disneyland pix that got me to visit your fine website in the first place last year, it's the quirky sense of humor you present alongside them that keeps me coming back.

Kevin Kidney said...

I agree that the cheeseburger lady is at the Pavilion in Adventureland. Her table appears to sit about where the Tiki Room exits today.

I believe the top image is Knott's, due to the Pacific Northwest styling and those plastic "dried salmon" hanging out on the line.

Chris Merritt said...

Heya Kevin -

I'm fairly sure that is not Knott's in the first pic... I've never seen a true northwest Indian theme like this prior to the Indian Trails area in 1992...

bigbrian-nc.com said...

The Indian totems look a bit like some that are around the former canoe load area at WDW here's a shot of one from last December,

http://flickr.com/photos/bigbrian-nc/2118951818/in/set-72157603505368392/


of course, Big Thunder is nearby now, I don't know how that photo would have been taken back in 71???from the passing Steamship (Admiral Joe Fowler at that time), it does seem to be from a high angle.

Christopher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.