Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Couple From July 1961

This picture reminds me of the kind of dining experiences my family had at the park when I grew up. Nothing glamorous or refined; grab your burger, fries and Coke, wolf it all down as fast as you can, and get back to the important business of waiting in line. This dining area in Tomorrowland was particularly low-budget...apparently added to handle the extra summertime crowds. It's one of those odd things that I'm glad somebody thought to photograph!


I didn't know that Disneyland had a room that was apparently just for ladies. What's up with that? How would women feel if there was a room just for men? It's an outrage, I tells ya. Heaven only knows what's going on in there. This one was located in City Hall. With all of the wonderful things to take pictures of at the park, why would somebody take a picture of this? One couple is taking a load off of their feet on a shady bench, probably planning out what they want to do next. I like the wasp-waisted woman with the bleached blond hair, she looks pretty sassy for 1961.

7 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow look at all those Disneyland cups- it looks like a fortune in the cups. And Major I think all three of the girls are pretty sassy!

Anonymous said...

Here's my guess of what happened: The photographer turned and saw the blond in the shorts, he quickly grabbed his camera and just managed to get a shot of her before she was out of range.

spajadigit said...

Question... Do you know where that dining area was? Looks like it's set up around a central couryard of some kind, was it for the yacht club?

Major Pepperidge said...

Spajadigit, check out my post from January 27, 2007:

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/tomorrowland-june-1963.html

There is a covered dining area right next to the Yacht Bar that I am pretty sure is the same one as the one in today's post.

Anonymous said...

Do you think you could get modern Americans to even fit in those old-style wrap-around table chair combinations?

Would they be the object of a "public humiliation" lawsuit against Disney if used today?

Katella Gate

Unknown said...

I love these "out of the ordinary" park shots.

Thank goodness someone thought the capture the mysterious Ladies room...I wonder what is inside there?

Anonymous said...

The "ladies room" is a bathroom, and nothing more.