Monday, January 26, 2009

Two From Tomorrowland, January 5 1957

The sky is filled with stormy looking clouds, and the setting sun lends this picture of the Autopia a rose-hued beauty. It's amazing to me that there are still remnants of that distinctive fencing around Tomorrowland (See a photo from the Vintage Disneyland Tickets blog here). The next time you go the park, be sure to visit that piece of original fence. No one will arrest you if you decide to fondle it, either. Easy does it though!


In keeping with Tomorrowland's fascination with all things atomic, I choose to believe that these fountains contained "heavy water" (water in which the hydrogen atoms have been replaced with deuterium, but you knew that already). The colored lights make the smaller fountains look like pink flames.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe yeah and peeps thought the sweet mist carried on the breeze was perfectly safe - ha! 's nuuuklear. Yes I'll look for that fence there and... must... control my excitement...

I like the style of that atom sign and wall. So much details and styles around the park.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I remember it well. My first year at DL. Great pics Major.

Nancy said...

love these images...the sun is setting and the park lights are on already

my very favorite pictures are at twilight

thanks, Major :)

Anonymous said...

The vertical lines of that building complimented the flagpoles which used to be in front of it.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice Tomorrowland photos! Hey, I was just at "three fences" yesterday, its doing just fine. It could use a little landscaping assistance, but it didn't stop me from fondling it, gently...

(photo from yesterday)