Friday, September 18, 2009

Pirate Ship and Castle, 1956

Here are two nice views from 1956 Fantasyland!

This guy's got the cool 50's shirt, the greasy 50's 'do, shades (in hand), and cigarette (don't smoke, kids!). The back of the Pirate Ship looks fine; there was no lagoon yet, but they did put in a strip of sand to give that "tropical island" feeling. It didn't really work though, did it. In the background, plenty of people are waiting to ride Casey Jr.


Nothin' much to say about this one. Mr. Cool (!) is annoyed at having to remove his shades again. The park must have opened recently judging by the herd of people crossing the moat. I have to comment on those useless little fences that surround the grassy areas... what good is a fence that you can step over without breaking stride? I think even Walt Disney thought that people would respect the fences, but he was in for a surprise.

10 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

There was so much to do, so much to pioneer and so much to learn when they opened! From the ground up... that chicken wire... I wonder if it was there opening day - just expedient - or if it wasn't there and they had to rush to put something, anything, there when people started walking over everything. Boy that landscaping in front of the Castle needs major help. But I like Walt's reported approach, something like, "now we know where to put the paths."

Loads of Suits up there on the Pirate Ship. Were they there for the Tuna sandwich? And what are all the people watching? (right of the top pic).

KN said...

Nice blog! Great content, I like them!! Since I love pirate movies..

Unknown said...

The backside of the tunaboat is almost as exciting as the backside of water.

Re the chicken wire: It probably came down to budget. Priority has to be given to fences and crowd controls: flower bed margins come low on the list of things to do and there are MILES of flower bed perimeters that needed to be marked off.

Katella Gate said...

By the way, that's a great outfit he's got on... looks like he's ready to walk over to Wonder Bowl for a few frames.

Capt. Tomorrow said...

Jackson is one hep cat, for now. But in a few short years when the 60's hit he will be considered a real cube.

daguru said...

Ok, I want that shirt... anyone know where I can find one?

Chiana_Chat said...

yeah, by the tuna boat and castle at Disneyland in 1956... I'd like a new 1956 Thunderbird meself.

Anonymous said...

LOL!

I don't think Mr Cole "is annoyed" at anything ...

I believe the sun bothers him!

I am so grateful to those unknown people who took great pics that, thanks to you, we can enjoy many years after!

I always think; "whatever happened to those folks?!" ...

Ah, memories!

Nancy said...

the castle looks very blue in this picture..like it very much


i sooo wish i had been able to eat on the tuna boat. this is a nice viewpoint :)

Unknown said...

I Dig that swank cats style!

I also like the look of the castle in the last pic as well.