Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nighttime, July 1985

It is sobering to think that there are readers of this blog who weren't even born in 1985; how could that be 28 years ago?! It seems like just yesterday. I still have my "Flock of Seagulls" hairdo (look it up, kids!). 

Videopolis was an outdoor amphitheater located near "It's a Small World" where you could watch the latest hot videos or even "rock out" to live acts, as seen in the photo below. It opened in '85, and  according to Wikipedia, you could have seen real stars at the time, such as Janet Jackson, New Edition, Pebbles, Debbie Gibson, New Kids On The Block, or Tiffany. What, no GG Allin, Nurse With Wound, or Einstürzende Neubauten?  


This next picture was snapped over at the Dumbo attraction. You can just see the mirror ball that Timothy stands on in the upper left. The Dumbii are a blur, silhouetted against the lights of King Arthur's Carrousel. Night photography is tricky.


A photo of the castle! That's just what they'll be expecting! Maybe if I take the photo from an unexpected angle, all of their evil plans will be foiled.


7 comments:

Nanook said...

...We're going to the top, Videopolis...♫ Yes, just let me get out my 45 rpm 'record' of the Videopolis theme song so we can all sing along - or not. Let's not forget the Four "light sticks" which produce 'floating images', which flanked the stage. Or the "Two live TV cameras to scan the action and project it onto the numerous screens". So 1980's.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing the Sleeping Beauty Castle photographed from a "rakish" angle. And just what (or whom) is that object in the upper left-hand corner of the frame-? Hmmmmm.

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

I loved Videopolis but looking back it was probably the beginning of the end of Disneyland as we knew it.

Poof! The disco ball is now a "hot air" balloon.

Nanook: I'd love to see the lyrics of the Videopolis theme song. Also, good eye on the Castle pic. I didn't catch that.

Orange Co Native said...

I was at Disneyland in 1987 when I was in my middle 20's, but yes 1985 only seems like yesterday. 1980 a month ago and 1975 a year ago. Prior to 1972 and it begins to seem like a long time ago. That is why when I see clear sharp color slides that are vibrant from the early 60's or 50's, it seems like the pictures could have been taken just yesterday. Of course everyone in the pictures have on different styles of clothing and hairdos.

Nanook said...

K. Martinez -
Be careful what you wish for...

Tonight’s the night, Gonna do it right.
Gonna use my very best moves, Show what I can do.
Dance till I drop, 'Cause the music’s so hot.

Goin' to the top Videopolis.
Gonna make it rock,
Videopolis, Videopolis.

♪ Suddenly, Everyone I see,
Every smiling face, Headed for the same place.
Words getting ‘round, Listen to the sound.

Goin' to the top Videopolis.
Gonna make it rock,
Videopolis, Videopolis.

♪ Think your gonna see what I mean,
Everyone doin' it right on the screen.
It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen,
Gonna like it, Gonna love it.

♫ Tonight’s the night, Gonna do it right.
Gonna use my very best moves, Show what I can do.
Dance till I drop, 'Cause the music’s so hot. ♫

Goin' to the top Videopolis
Gonna make it rock,
Videopolis, Videopolis


It really sounds tailored for TDL.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I assume that the thing in the upper left corner is just some twinkle lights from a nearby tree, but can't say for sure. And I just heard about those "light sticks" with the secret messages. They used to have something like that in downtown LA at the Neon Museum, I thought it was the coolest thing.

K. Martinez, ..."the disco ball is now a 'hot air' balloon". I don't get it! What does it mean?

OC Native, I totally understand. I found a ticket stub to a concert that I went to in 1982 and realized that the concert was over 30 years ago. WHAAAAA?

Nanook, I am disappointed that they never rhymed "necropolis" with "videopolis"!

K. Martinez said...

Nanook - I LOVE IT!! Thanks for posting.

Major - In your caption, you mentioned that Timothy was standing on a mirrored ball. If you look closer, it's a hot air balloon. The mirrored ball was removed when Dumbo was redesigned for when New Fantasyland.

Major Pepperidge said...

K Martinez, wow, I have NEVER noticed that before!! Now I feel dumb, ha ha.