Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Family Snapshot & Souvenir Photo

Today we're going to start with this wonderful family snapshot, courtesy of Greg C., who kindly emailed the scan to me. Pictured is his grandfather Bill, who is holding Greg's mother Debbie. Greg said that this was taken on the first day that Disneyland was open to the public (July 18, 1955) in front of the Silver Banjo BBQ restaurant. I can't help thinking about the many times I went the park with my grandparents - and I don't have a single photo as a keepsake. Greg C. is pretty lucky to have this memento! 


And just to round out today's post, I am throwing in this souvenir "Fun Photo" from the Art Corner. A brother and sister pose at the wheel of a faux Mark Twain; as is typical of these old Polaroids, the photo shows all manner of streaks and discoloration, which kind of adds to the charm as far as I'm concerned. And of course I love the paper frame/envelope that was provided!


Many thanks once again to Greg C., for sharing his precious family photo!

10 comments:

Nanook said...

And to continue on from yesterday's images - the first pic shows the cross hatch pattern in the concrete "patio" that was in front of both the Silver Banjo Barbeque and Oaks Tavern restaurants.

Love the souvenir fun photo from the Art Corner. Although not an original idea to Disneyland, no one did them better.

Thanks, Major.

Connie Moreno said...

Those were so SO cool!

K. Martinez said...

These are awesome! Thank you Greg C. for sharing the photo of your mother and grandfather at Disneyland's first day open to the public. Priceless!

Melissa said...

Greg's Grandpa was one handsome fella.

Douglas McEwan said...

Only one of my grandparents, my maternal grandmother, ever went to Disneyland with me, but I do have a photo of both of my maternal grandparents at the park in 1958, when they went without kids. Also without checking whether the park was open. In those days, it was closed two days a week (Monday and Tuesday) in the off-season, and they got there, found the park closed, took this one great photo of themselves ALONE at the front of the park, and then went home again.

Greg C. said...

To all thank you on complimenting my family...

Melissa: If you think HE'S handsome, you should see me. Haha j/k, thanks again and glad I could share this piece of history with everyone.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, the lines on the pavement from yesterday looked more like diagonal stripes, but maybe we just can't see enough of the area. Anyway, I am sure you are right about it being for outdoor seating!

Connie, glad you liked these!

K. Martinez, I wish more people would share their family photos with me (so that I can share them with you guys)!

Melissa, Grandpa Bill definitely gives off a cool Johnny Cash vibe!

Doug, oh man... I can't imagine going all the way to Anaheim (I'll bet it was a long drive for them) only to find the park closed. Maybe they could have salvaged the day by going to nearby Knott's?

Greg C., thanks again!

Nanook said...

Major-

The pattern merely looks diagonal. It's the same pattern that runs parallel to the fronts of both the Silver Banjo BBQ (Stage Door Cafe) and Aunt Jemima's Kitchen but ends up essentially at a dead end in the front of the Oaks Tavern - which is at 45° to the other buildings. Hence the deceptive "diagonal-look" of the pattern in front of the Oaks Tavern. Whew-!

Irene said...

I'm guessing Greg's Mom is about 2 years younger than me as I was 7 when our family went on July 18, 1955. Wouldn't that have been something if we were in the background? Why my Dad did not take pictures is beyond me as he took so many slides when on vacation with my Mom. As I mentioned in a previous post, he did take color home movies in August of 1955 and then again the Summer of 1959 because of the Matterhorn, Submarines, etc. I must get those transferred to DVD one of these days!

Greg C. said...

Major, that's funny you mention Johnny Cash as that was my grandpa's favorite singer. Later on in the late 60's and 70's he resembled James Garner more.RIP