Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Two From 1958

I scanned and restored some old magenta slides recently, only to discover that I had already posted these quite a while ago. Oh well!

Popcorn! Getcha hot popcorn here! Not 25 cents, not 20 cents, just 15 cents, why we're practically giving it away. How about you pops, you look like you could use a snack. Don't worry lady, this stuff is low calorie to help you maintain your girlish figure. Hey kid, did you know that the ancient Aztecs ate popcorn? If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you. Getcha hot popcorn!


This skipper is selling popcorn too, only it's not going so well. How can anybody eat when they are about to venture into uncharted lands full of man-eating rhinos and bloodthirsty gorillas? I think I need my booster shots too, I don't want to get malaria or dengue fever. I'll just wait here on the dock until you get back. IF you get back.


4 comments:

Nanook said...

Interesting the skipper of the Swannee Lady is not, how shall I put this... oh - about my age right now-! I seem to recall a much younger group of "men" at the helm on my visits to the Disneyland Jungle Cruise. Perhaps in DL's early days the cast members were of a more 'experienced breed'.

Thanks, Major.

Chiana_Chat said...

It must have been a while since I don't recall these. Probably look better than the early scans and I enjoyed the look at 'em anyway. :)

Gosh it looks like a nice sunny day and I'm gettin' a hankerin' for popcorn, the snack of the Aztecs (although I'll take butter instead of their special sacrificial sauce!). What's the yellow sign next to the 15c sign say?

The passenger in the Swannee Lady is happily anticipating his journey.

As for a tendency for older skippers, well... Back then, Disneyland took less and paid more.

Chuck said...

I want the skipper's shirt.

This is the point where we normally wave at the people on the boat beacuse we know we're never going to see them again. I'm glad I didn't wave the first time we saw this slide, because I'd be feeling pretty foolish right now.

Love the restoration, Major! In fact, you have our permission to restore all of your slides if it keeps your blog going.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, he's more like Indy's dad. Once in a while I'll notice an older guy at the helm, but you're right, it was typically younger dudes.

Chiana, you don't like the blood from a still-beating heart on your popcorn? I guess it takes all kinds to make a crazy world. And I've always wondered if people could actually live a decent life with their Disneyland wage back in the 50's and into the 60's.

Chuck, it's a good thing you didn't wave because all of these passengers are from that country where waving is a symbol for smearing a rude substance in their faces. Not nice! Luckily (or not?) I don't have that many more magenta slides to restore, though if they were like these I wouldn't mind.