Monday, September 02, 2013

Knott's, 1950's

Like most photos from the 1950's, Knott's pictures from that decade just have a certain quality to them. I'm sure a lot of it is due to the clothing and hairstyles, which were not so terribly different from the 1940's. 

I love this first picture of a mom and her two boys sitting in a wagon that has been hitched to a very shaggy mule. This setup (right outside of Judge Roy Bean's) was there for a fun photo op, I've never seen a picture of this before.


They call this guy "Seldom Seen Slim", but based on my slide collection, he was seen (and photographed) a LOT. This statue looks pretty lifelike in this image; you can almost hear him speaking. He sounds just like Gabby Hayes, of course (not to be confused with Gibby Haynes).



4 comments:

Melissa said...

"Seldom Seen Slim" looks like a good name for him. I wonder what they called the human-shaped statue next to him.

Anonymous said...

Wonder what Slim is running from?

Gibby Haynes has also been "seldom seen" of late...that's His Problem.

Bill in Denver

K. Martinez said...

I loved the 50s-60s era of Knott's. Once they got into the 1970s with the "Roaring 20's" area and thrill rides, it was never quite the same to me. Extra nice Knott's pics today. Thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, wah-wahhh (sad trombone sound....)

Bill in Denver, he is allergic to Boysenberries.

K. Martinez, I kind of agree, the whole spirit of the place changed drastically. Perhaps it was necessary in order for the park to survive, but even so, something was lost.