Sunday, September 17, 2017

Frontierland Views, October 1962

Well, hey! For a Sunday, today's photos ain't half bad. 3 skootches better than usual, if you want to get scientific about it. 

It's October, 1962 (or thereabouts), and somebody on the Mark Twain (or Columbia) snapped this picture looking across Tom Sawyer Island toward lovely Cascade Peak - doesn't it look great? My guess is that the four people standing next to Teeter-Totter Rock just happened to be there, and were not supposed to be the subjects of the photo. Notice Merry-Go-Round Rock in the lower left. 


Aaaaaaand... you know it, you love it, you can't live without it... it's the Friendly Indian Village! Somehow it looks especially busy in this photo, with all of the Native Americans preparing food, fixing canoes, scraping hides, and doing other useful activities. Maybe we are invited to dinner! Tonight they are serving fricassee of prairie dog. Mmmm-mmm! (Hey, I'd try it). 

I always get a chuckle over the two babies propped up against the teepee in the lower left.


5 comments:

Chuck said...

If it weren't for the out-of-scale waterfalls, that first photo almost looks like it could have been taken at a National Park out West somewhere, with Cascade Peak a distant mountain in the background.

Not to diss Cascade Peak or anything. I love it and miss it as much as the next person who loves and misses it. But as has been noted here before, it doesn't make any geological sense.

Also never noticed how far away Big Thunder's lower falls was from its upper falls. I kinda want to sit on the rocky edge of the pool between and dangle my bare feet in the water.

I miss features like Merry-go-round and Teeter-totter Rocks, but I understand the liability issues, particularly with the larger crowds and a more litigious society. Glad I got to experience them in person.

Thanks for the great start to the day, Major!

Nanook said...

Major-

I kinda forgotten there were other locations in Frontierland utilizing "real fire" other than the Settler's Cabin - and of course, the Town Square fire pit in Main Street, USA-!

Thanks, Major.

Melissa said...

The shape of the lady in black’s purse makes it look like she's holding a chainsaw with the blade behind the rock. Boy, Bag Check was lax in those days!

I bet those two babies are heckling the rest of the villagers, like a tiny Statler and Waldorf.

Nanook said...

@ Melissa-

That lady was able to fool the fine folks staffing Bag Check, as her 'low cut dress' distracted them all. It was a heck of a' lot easier to do in those days.

TokyoMagic! said...

Nanook, those real flames surprised me. I didn't realize they ever had that effect within the Indian village.

Melissa, it appears that the lady in the black dress has some decent biceps. I guess that would come naturally from wielding a chain saw around all day long. I bet she got to go the the front of the line on every ride that day.